What to Expect
We do all we can to ensure that the dog and its new family are well matched. We want you to be happy with your new dog and of course we want your new dog to be happy and have a great life.
Our adoption process may seem like a bit much but we feel it is necessary to achieve our goal.
The Adoption Process - What to Expect
After reading our Adoption Policy, Please fill out our Adoption Application.
We may contact you to schedule a home visit by one of our volunteers. This is just to ensure that the dog will not be in a dangerous situation. It is also a great time for you to get all your questions answered.
Please call your veterinarian and authorize them to release information about your pets to Rescue Charlie’s Friends.
Here is the type of information we will be looking for:
- If you have any pets now (or in the past) do you keep them up to date on their vaccinations?
- Do they appear to be well cared for and free from abuse or neglect?
Of course, before you receive your new dog, any dogs you now have must be up to date on their vaccinations for Rabies, Parvo, Distemper and Heartworm Preventative.
Know the Rules
If you are renting, you may need to get approval from your Landlord to bring a new pet into your home.
Please make sure that your town, homeowner’s association, homeowners insurance or landlord don’t have any restrictions that might interfere with the adoption.
You will be notified when you have been approved for adoption!
Once approved, we ask that you make a deposit of $100 to reserve your dog. When the deposit is received, we change the dog’s status to “Adoption Pending”. This reserves your dog and prevents someone else from adopting it.
When do I get my Dog?
All dogs received from out of state are quarantined for at least five days (or 48 hours, depending on age) before you receive them. This is to make sure that they are free from disease and it is also required by State law.
Once you have been approved, the fee has been paid and the quarantine period has passed, we will contact you and give you your new dog. You will be asked to sign our Adoption Contract.
This is our favorite part – seeing the big smiles and happy faces on both dogs and their new owners.
What is the Adoption Fee?
Our adoption fee is $400.00. Yes, this seems like a lot but if there is a little left over, it goes toward the huge, unexpected veterinary expenses that come up all too often.
Expenses not covered by the fee come out of our personal pockets. That’s why donations are always welcome!
Rescue Charlie’s Friends is a 501(c)(3) non-profit corporation composed of volunteers, none of whom are paid. The adoption fee and any donations are tax deductible.
What does the Fee Cover?
Here is what the fee covers:
- Veterinary fees to get the dog approved for interstate transport (if applicable), including vaccinations and any necessary treatment for possible health issues.
- Transportation from wherever the dog is located to Maine.
- Expenses related to Fostering (food, bedding, crates, exercise pens) both prior to transportation from their home state and again after arrival in Maine.
- Vaccinations including Rabies, DHLPP and Bordatella as well as unexpected medical expenses
- Fecal testing and De-Worming
- Flea and Tick preventative (Frontline/Advantage)
- Heartworm preventative
- Microchip Implantation and first year’s service
- Free Exam Voucher at Forest Avenue Veterinary Hospital Portland, ME or Veterinary Quick Care South Portland, ME
We ask that as soon as possible, your new dog meets all members of your household, including other pets, to ensure that any conflicts are recognized early so adjustments can be made.
Please see our Resources page for tips on introducing a new dog to your household.
What if Things Don't Work Out?
If for any reason, your new dog is not a good match, we ask that it be returned to us for placement in another home. We will arrange to meet with you to retrieve the dog and we will work to place the dog in another home.
If we are notified within 14 days after you receive your dog that the dog is not a good fit in your home and you want the dog to leave, we will refund your Adoption Fee in full.